Thursday, July 2, 2009

Peace Vertical, Peace Horizontal


Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. (Romans 5:1)

Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone. (Romans 12:18)

Back when I was a young peace activist I did not have peace with God, myself or with the great majority of my fellow human beings. True peace was not possible until I accepted the Terms of Peace offered me by God. Once hostilities ceased on that front, a pacification operation was begun in my heart and mind that continues to this day. Once I was an angry pacifist, now I am becoming a peaceful warrior.

I have become convinced that this peace with God--this peace which only the death of Jesus Christ could secure--is an absolute prerequisite in order for us to truly be at peace with one another. The new pacifism I now practice requires much much more from me than marching or petitioning or pontificating. It requires a surrendering, a laying down of all arms of every sort--even, perhaps especially, of loaded words.

Lord, thank you for the peace you have brought to my life. Thank you for sending your son to die so things would be set right between us. Father, you know I have far to go on the road of peace and much more to learn. Show me more the way of Christ so I can love even my enemies as Jesus taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment